A complaint may be made by writing free-form to the Ombudsman or using the complaint form.
A complaint should preferably be made in Finnish, Swedish, Sámi or if necessary in English.
A complaint must cover the following matters:
- the person or authority whose action the complainant criticises
- what action or decision the complainant considers illegal
- why the complainant considers the action or decision illegal
- whether the matter is under deliberation in a court of law or elsewhere
- what the complainant wants the Ombudsman to do.
It is advisable to append copies of decisions illustrating the matter as well as of other documents to the complaint
The name and address of the complainant as well as preferably the telephone number and any e-mail address must be stated in the complaint. The Ombudsman does not investigate anonymous complaints.
A complaint can be sent by post, fax or e-mail. It can also be handed in at the Office of the Ombudsman between 9.00 and 16.00.
Address: Arkadiankatu 3, FI-00100 Helsinki
Fax: +358 (0)9 432 2268
If necessary, you can discuss the matter with one of the legal advisers at the Office of the Ombudsman.