The Parliamentary Ombudsman supervises that you are treated well and fairly

Responsive Image
You can contact the Ombudsman if: 
  • an authority or a public servant has treated you badly or unfairly 
  • you have not received services that belong to you under the law
  • you feel that fundamental and human rights have not been respected.

Who can complain?

Anybody can complain to the Ombudsman.

Who can I complain about?

You can complain to the Ombudsman about authorities, public servants and others who carry out public tasks.
(If a private company takes care of a task or a service that the municipality must provide, this is an example of carrying out a public task.)

You do not have to pay anything to complain.

What can I complain about?

You can make a complaint about illegal actions or neglect. 

For example if an authority:

  • takes a long time over doing something 
  • is careless 
  • does not give the advice you need 
  • does not behave properly
  • does not explain the reasons for a decision clearly    
  • does something that they do not have the authority to do
  • violates fundamental and human rights.

You can complain about a matter that concerns you. 
You can only complain about something that concerns another person if this person gives you a permission to do so, preferably in writing. 
An adult can make a complaint on behalf of a child.

There is no charge for investigating a complaint. 

Responsive Image

What can I not complain about?

The Ombudsman does not investigate complaints about just anything or anybody.
For example, the Ombudsman does not supervise:
ordinary people 
  • organisations and associations, including sports clubs
  • banks and other companies
  • housing companies
  • people who work on their own account, including private doctors.

How do you make a complaint?

You can send a complaint to the Ombudsman
  • using the complaint form (link) 
  • by e-mail
  • in a letter.

In your form or letter, explain what happened and who you are complaining about. 
Remember to give us your contact details, as we do not usually investigate complaints that do not have the sender's name.
You can attach to the complaint decisions or other documents that contain more information. 

If you do not want to give your name

If you do not want to make a complaint but you have noticed a problem, you can contact the Ombudsman.
  • we will not tell anybody that you contacted us
  • we can inspect a school or an institution based on the information you gave us.
Responsive Image

What happens next?

Responsive Image


The Ombudsman will investigate the case if he suspects that the authority has done something wrong or illegal. 


The person that you complained about will get to know your name when we ask him or her for more information about what happened.


When your case has been investigated, we will send you a written decision. It will be sent to you and the person whose actions you complained about. 
You can contact the Registry at the Office of the Parliamentary Ombudsman to ask how the investigation of your complaint is progressing (link to Contacts page).

We try to make a decision on all cases in less than a year.

Complaint form